Plastic surgery or cosmetic surgery can be a very beneficial operation for people who have deformities, scaring or are just looking for a more youthful appearance. The procedures are quite broad ranging from a minor surgery such as an eye lift to more dramatic surgery such as a face transplant. The reasons behind plastic surgery are just as varied. Many people get cosmetic surgery to improve their looks while others, such as breast cancer patients who have had a mastectomy, opt for surgery to restore their appearance.
But when an incompetent, negligent or unqualified doctor performs such a precise surgical procedure, the results can be devastating.
Some common complications associated with plastic surgery include:
- Breast augmentation/reduction resulting in nerve damage, infection, encapsulation, scarring, asymmetry, or disfigurement
- Rhinoplasty/Nose Job complications resulting in breathing difficulties or asymmetry
- Face lift/blepharoplasty complications resulting in dry eyes, nerve damage, scarring or inability to close eyes properly
- Anesthesia complications resulting in blood clots, brain damage, airway obstruction, abnormal heart rhythm, heart attack or death
- Liposuction complications resulting in numbness, organ damage, disfigurement, internal bleeding or death
- Abdominoplasty complications resulting in blistering, burns, infection, nerve damage, scarring, or blood loss